Harry Bertoia Untitled, “Multi-Plane,” 1950s
(Multi-plane with shaped sculpture).
Early example made in the 1950's
Brass melt-coated steel plates on central steel stem.
Measures: 130 cm H.
51.25 h x 10 d in
Harry Bertoia (1915-1978) Italian-born American artist, sculptor of metal works, maker of jewelry, furniture designer and philosopher. Bertoia moved to Detroit at the age of 15 and attended Cass Technical High School and later Cranbrook Academy of Art. He completed over 50 public commissions and his works are in the permanent collections of Detroit Institute of Arts, Nasher Sculpture Center, Smithsonian American Art Museum. In 1955, he completed the Altarpiece for MIT Chapel with Eero Saarinen. His friends and collaborators included Charles and Ray Eames and Florence Knoll (Knoll Inc.).
"The urge for good design is the same as the urge to go on living" ~ Harry Bertoia